Kitchens are the meeting point of the family, so it is necessary to create a comfortable and attractive place to share a pleasant moment. Furniture is the essence of the kitchen, how to choose it without mistakes? Current trends in design mark the introduction of new materials in different components as countertops and cabinets, as well as adapting the designs to the needs of storage and placement with columns, high cupboards and integrated appliances. Looking at kitchen furniture catalogues can be sometimes overwhelming, because there are many options of materials and finishes! But don’t worry, in this blog we will tell you the difference between them, so you can choose the right cabinets for your kitchen. Begin by distinguishing the material from which is made the furniture and its covering. The combination of these two factors will make you succeed in your decision.
The furniture materials are:
Particleboard. It is composed of remains of wood compacted with resins or glues. It is not expensive and has a variety of colors and textures. Particleboard furniture can only be smooth, without frames or mouldings. Make sure it is water resistant otherwise the cabinet may swell.
Fibre hardboard. This material is more expensive than particleboard, but its quality is better. Wood fibber boards are covered with lacquer so scratched and blow can be repaired easily.
Solid wood panel. It is made from thin layers of superimposed solid wood. This type is the most expensive and so some manufacturers no longer sell it.
The materials covering the furniture are:
Solid wood. It is natural, elegant and yet timeless, a classic. Ask about the treatments needed by the wood. If it is good, it will have greater resistance.
Polylaminate. They are smooth sheets of vinyl that are imitation of wood. This material do not resist very well the passing of time, and the vinyl can peel off with temperature changes. Another drawback is that imitation wood vinyl may seem unnatural.
Melamine or low pressure laminates. It is an economical and good wear resistance option. The downside is that the finished furniture may not be what you expected. This material finishes are only matte.
Laminated furniture. This option is a little more expensive but it is also very resistant to water, heat, bumps and scratches. The default is that only have smooth surfaces.
Textured. It is an ideal choice if you want cabinets that look like solid wood furniture without being it. The final texture is roughened.
Lacquered furniture. They are only made with a base of fibre hardboard. The better the lacquer, the better the cabinet. They are little impact resistant but can be easily repaired. Its finished is very bright, almost like glass.
Aluminum or stainless steel. We are used to see this material in professional kitchens, but you can combine it with other natural wood finished or soft pastel colors.
After determining which materials and colors you like best, and choosing the option that best fit to your budget, you can continue to select the model of your kitchen furniture. With the model chosen, you need to decide the distribution of the cabinets, considering that not all wall cabinets have to be placed at the same height. They can be raised or lowered to better accommodate to different levels, giving the kitchen a unique decorative touch. Add extensible drawers and shelves where is possible. The extensions located on the furniture, will improve the accessibility of the corners. You can also choose drawers of different sizes between base cabinets and wall units, this will give you more space to store and the design will be more attractive.
Feel free to visit our store where you can check out our wide selection of stylish, high-end, and affordable Italian kitchen from Scavolini. Our friendly and experienced team can assist you with more useful recommendations for the selection of your kitchen furniture, or with your kitchen remodelling in general. Siema Kitchen and Bath is proud to be the sole distributor for Scavolini kitchen in Vancouver.
Nowadays spaces are more limited than before, and living in small houses and apartments is very normal, especially whether you are decided to live in the city. Therefore, this has made all the rooms of a place smaller, pushing interior designers and providers to present solutions to new needs, and kitchens are not the exception. Then, if your have little space in your kitchen, you are not alone and we will tell you the styles and decorating tips for small kitchens to get the most out of it, without losing that sense of harmony, and creating a place with greater feeling of spaciousness where you will enjoy cooking.
- Small kitchen integrated to the living room: In many cases, small kitchens are integrated into the living room to increase the feeling of space and breadth of it. This trend of open kitchen is one of the most accepted and wanted, so it also becomes a perfect choice to enjoy a modern house.
- Small independent kitchen: The separate kitchens have the advantage that odours do not spread through the living room and you can cook without public most of the time.
- Narrow kitchens: In very narrow kitchens where we need ingenuity to spend two at a time, it should be considered whether to put high shelves, a very narrow piece of furniture in the opposite wall or whether is possible to win some space to the kitchen.
If your house or apartment has a style of kitchen as the previously described, the below decorating tips can help you save space and gain comfort. Every centimeter counts, therefore, in spaces that we used more often like the kitchen, it is important to be clear about what items are needed and how to place them.
- Furniture: The furnishings and style of your kitchen is as important as the correct distribution. We recommend you choosing vertical storage cabinets, with which you will gain space and comfort. Cabinets and open shelves are very good to orderly store many objects and maximize space. One advantage of these shelves is the lack of doors, so you can see all your kitchen utensils and have access to them when you cook, and also big items will fit on it. If you like a rustic style, storage baskets will also decorate the kitchen. Tailored corner furniture can help you to not miss a single centimeter, and may contain extractable drawers to get you to the bottom of it in a comfortable way. Cork paneled walls to hang pots, pans and all kinds of objects, or set a hanging on the wall to keep them on hand with other utensils, are also simple forms to save space.
- Lighting: Light is one of the most important keys to enjoy a kitchen. The ideal is to have good natural lighting and ventilation that will give us a feeling of amplitude. A ledge with an aromatic spice garden next to the window where enters more light, will serve both to decorate as to use the spices in your recipes. If the kitchen does not have natural lighting, the trick is to select well the areas where the lights will be. It is important to have a well-lit kitchen to make it nice to be in. An important detail, even if we have a great lighting but we have not chosen well the colors of the cabinets, walls and ceramics, we are not taking full advantage, as we should.
- Colors: The lighting and color go together to attain an effect of spaciousness and harmony in the kitchen, and colors go in furniture, appliances, walls and floor. An irrefutable truth is that light colors give more sense of space, but if you like intense colors, the recommendation for small kitchens is to use them only in appliances or other decorative elements. This small selection will give the kitchen a unique style, without saturating the space. For example, you can use a white color for the walls and ceiling, and the fridge can be a gray tone. If you like wooden furniture, the kitchen will be more welcoming, but wood gives the feeling of a smaller space. A practical solution is to choose an integrated kitchen where all the elements are grouped, and choose opaque wood tones, that are more natural and not saturate.
In the above lines we have pointed out the styles and decorating tips for small kitchens that will make possible to you to get an elegant and functional kitchen despite its size. Our friendly and experienced team can assist you with more useful tips for selection or remodelling your kitchen, no matter the size. Feel free to visit our store where you can check out our wide selection of stylish, high-end, and affordable Italian kitchen from Scavolini. Siema Kitchen and Bath is proud to be the sole distributor for Scavolini kitchen in Vancouver.
Small bathrooms may seem like challenging design assignment to accomplish; however, these spaces may open up a brilliant design solution to add to your unique home style. Creating a functional and storage-friendly bathroom may be what your cozy home requires.
The main idea of all design components in a small bathroom is functionality for creating a space-saving place. If you are looking for space-saving furniture ideas, be sure to check out our bathroom vanities options and storage units.
1. Think out your color palette
Make sure you have thought out your color palette, when it’s time to start painting. Use neutral colors to add personality to your small bathroom and create a calming atmosphere.
- Choose a neutral color palette to form the primary theme of your bathroom.
- Go bold with splashes of rich neutral when choosing vanity or storage unit to achieve a gorgeous look
- Utilize patterns and texture in neutral tones to make your bathroom stand out..
- Add the right lighting to give dimension to the neutral hues.
2. Add Storage Space
Rather than stuffing things in large cabinets, demonstrate your colorful, textured towels in open shelving. This move will add warmth and playful atmosphere to your comfy space and exclude nonessential large furniture pieces.
- Storage unit with open shelves can be drilled into the wall or placed on the floor for comfortable accessibility.
3. Make it Functional
The key point for a small bathroom is functionality. Keep in mind small spaces can simply go to unwanted mess, so all the design elements should be functional and serve a purpose.
- Eliminate counter space by storing personal products.
4. Add Splashes of Color
Another possible way to create your own atmosphere and one-of-a-kind allure in your small bathroom is to add splashes of color by utilizing vibrant towels, rugs or robes.
Kitchen remodelling can be a challenging, daunting and sometimes a costly project. By applying useful tips for remodelling your kitchen, you can have an enriching and enjoying process in the creation of an amazing kitchen that adds value to your property without the additional cost and stress.
Before you begin your kitchen remodelling project, you will need to determine your objectives and purpose. Is the remodelling of kitchen for your enjoyment or are you looking to update the look of the kitchen so that you can add value to your property before putting it on the market for sale? Explore the reasons on why you wanted to begin on this project so that you can develop a kitchen design that best address the needs that you have.
If you are remodelling the kitchen for property resale purposes, it would be advisable to decide on a kitchen design that appeals to the largest number of homebuyers and you need to get the highest return on investment possible for the project. You may want to consider using kitchen features that are timeless and continue remain in trend. Homebuyers in the resale market have a fondness for kitchen design such as white painted kitchen.
The kitchen remodelling project is going to end up costing more if you decide to refresh the look of the kitchen again after a few years because you feel that the kitchen design is dated. Therefore, it is essential to consider using kitchen features and design elements that will stand the test of time, even if you are doing the kitchen modelling project for yourself.
Here are some kitchen features that you can consider for your kitchen remodelling project.
Include more counter space as homeowners prefer to display their kitchen appliances on the counter instead of keeping them in the cabinet.
Install pull-out drawers which are perfect to store kitchen appliances such as blenders and mixers.
Instead of installing a desk in your kitchen, you can allocate a drawer to store items such as charging devices for electronic products, notepads and pens.
Free up more counter space by setting aside space for your kitchen to having under-counter drawers for your microwave. The latest microwave drawers are ergonomically designed and equipped with safety locks for homes with toddlers. It is recommended to install at an accessible height for children.
Have kitchen backsplash that start from the counter to the bottom of the upper kitchen cabinets. It is not only practical and also ensures a longer shelf life for your kitchen. Material options include ceramic, glass tile and porcelain.
Siema Kitchen and Bath offers a nice selection of high quality and affordably priced Italian designed kitchen from Scavolini which you can use in your kitchen remodelling project. Our friendly and experienced team will be delighted to assist and provide you with more useful tips for remodelling your kitchen in Vancouver.