Nowadays spaces are more limited than before, and living in small houses and apartments is very normal, especially whether you are decided to live in the city. Therefore, this has made all the rooms of a place smaller, pushing interior designers and providers to present solutions to new needs, and kitchens are not the exception. Then, if your have little space in your kitchen, you are not alone and we will tell you the styles and decorating tips for small kitchens to get the most out of it, without losing that sense of harmony, and creating a place with greater feeling of spaciousness where you will enjoy cooking.
- Small kitchen integrated to the living room: In many cases, small kitchens are integrated into the living room to increase the feeling of space and breadth of it. This trend of open kitchen is one of the most accepted and wanted, so it also becomes a perfect choice to enjoy a modern house.
- Small independent kitchen: The separate kitchens have the advantage that odours do not spread through the living room and you can cook without public most of the time.
- Narrow kitchens: In very narrow kitchens where we need ingenuity to spend two at a time, it should be considered whether to put high shelves, a very narrow piece of furniture in the opposite wall or whether is possible to win some space to the kitchen.
If your house or apartment has a style of kitchen as the previously described, the below decorating tips can help you save space and gain comfort. Every centimeter counts, therefore, in spaces that we used more often like the kitchen, it is important to be clear about what items are needed and how to place them.
- Furniture: The furnishings and style of your kitchen is as important as the correct distribution. We recommend you choosing vertical storage cabinets, with which you will gain space and comfort. Cabinets and open shelves are very good to orderly store many objects and maximize space. One advantage of these shelves is the lack of doors, so you can see all your kitchen utensils and have access to them when you cook, and also big items will fit on it. If you like a rustic style, storage baskets will also decorate the kitchen. Tailored corner furniture can help you to not miss a single centimeter, and may contain extractable drawers to get you to the bottom of it in a comfortable way. Cork paneled walls to hang pots, pans and all kinds of objects, or set a hanging on the wall to keep them on hand with other utensils, are also simple forms to save space.
- Lighting: Light is one of the most important keys to enjoy a kitchen. The ideal is to have good natural lighting and ventilation that will give us a feeling of amplitude. A ledge with an aromatic spice garden next to the window where enters more light, will serve both to decorate as to use the spices in your recipes. If the kitchen does not have natural lighting, the trick is to select well the areas where the lights will be. It is important to have a well-lit kitchen to make it nice to be in. An important detail, even if we have a great lighting but we have not chosen well the colors of the cabinets, walls and ceramics, we are not taking full advantage, as we should.
- Colors: The lighting and color go together to attain an effect of spaciousness and harmony in the kitchen, and colors go in furniture, appliances, walls and floor. An irrefutable truth is that light colors give more sense of space, but if you like intense colors, the recommendation for small kitchens is to use them only in appliances or other decorative elements. This small selection will give the kitchen a unique style, without saturating the space. For example, you can use a white color for the walls and ceiling, and the fridge can be a gray tone. If you like wooden furniture, the kitchen will be more welcoming, but wood gives the feeling of a smaller space. A practical solution is to choose an integrated kitchen where all the elements are grouped, and choose opaque wood tones, that are more natural and not saturate.
In the above lines we have pointed out the styles and decorating tips for small kitchens that will make possible to you to get an elegant and functional kitchen despite its size. Our friendly and experienced team can assist you with more useful tips for selection or remodelling your kitchen, no matter the size. Feel free to visit our store where you can check out our wide selection of stylish, high-end, and affordable Italian kitchen from Scavolini. Siema Kitchen and Bath is proud to be the sole distributor for Scavolini kitchen in Vancouver.